The best times to check are before each meal and before bedtime snack. It is also helpful to check blood glucose 2-4 hours after a meal to see the effect of food on your glucose levels.
There are times when you will want to check your blood glucose more often than usual. For example::
• During periods of stress, illness or surgery
• When you are pregnant
• When low blood glucose is suspected
• When blood glucose levels are erratic
• When there are changes made in your treatment program, such as a change in medication doses, meal plan or activity
• When taking new medications, like steroids